One of the most common things people visit the doctor for is to relieve symptoms of a cold or flu. Over the counter medicine sometimes helps, but when the symptoms seem to linger West Valley Urgent Care is available to help you cure your cold or flu. There are certain things you can personally do to help alleviate the symptoms of a cold or flu and we would like to share eight ways to help you recover quickly.
7 Tips To Treat A Cold or Flu
- It is important to blow your nose often and correctly when you have a cold. Many people sniffle, but instead of sniffling mucus back up into your head you should blow your nose. The best way to blow your nose is to press a finger over on of your nostrils and blow gently to clear all the mucus out of one nostril and then repeat this action with the other nostril.
- Sleep is one of the best ways to help your immune system fight a cold or flu. Make sure you rest and get plenty of sleep and you should be feeling normal again faster.
- If you have a sore throat it is important to gargle to relieve soreness or itchiness in the back of the throat. Adding salt to a cup of hot water and gargling is an old wives remedy. Another great concoction to help with sore throats is hot water, lemon juice and honey.
- Drinking hot tea is a great way to help relieve congestion and helps to soothe inflamed membranes that line the nose and throat.
- Hot showers are great for people who are suffering from cold and flu symptoms. The steam from the shower helps to moisturize nasal passages.
- If your sinuses are congested use a hot or cold wash cloth and place it on your face to alleviate congestion and open up your nasal cavity.
- Often times people have issues breathing at night when they are trying to sleep, so it is important to double up on pillows when sleeping. A gradual slope will help drain nasal passages.
West Valley Urgent Care now has flu shots available for the upcoming 2013-2014 flu season. We are also available to help you find relief from the symptoms of a cold or flu. Call us at 623.334.8671 for more information.